It seems like you can’t open up Instagram without a picture of someone recovering or running in their compression socks. Between 2XU, ProCompression and CEP they are everywhere and becoming not only a performance and recovery item but a “cool” race must-have. I’ve watched with intrigue but never felt I actually could benefit from them….until now. Marathon training has meant extra runs, both in frequency and duration. Once I was hitting 16, 18 and 20 miles at a time, my legs were staying a bit sore longer than usual. I’m a big believer in leg drains but I needed something more. I’m not into ice baths and my husband was getting sick of massaging and stretching my legs so with a nice coupon code from @cottageofstone (THANK YOU!!) I purchased my first pair. I chose ProCompression sock of the Month, the Marathon Neon Yellow and Pink Swirl sock. I will preface this review that I’m definitely not a sock expert, a compression expert or really an expert at anything I can think of at the moment. I could have some things wrong, but here are my opinions and personal experiences on my compression sock journey:
1. What IS a compression sock?
The theory is that compression helps to expedite muscle recovery through enhanced vascular flow in your lower extremities. They are said to be useful before, during and following activities. I’ve chosen to wear them for recovery at this point. Weather permitting, I’m going to put them to a test during a run soon.
2. What did my brand spankin’ new ProCompression socks feel like?
HEAVEN! As soon as I put them on I felt like my legs and feet were just massaged. It’s not a “too tight” feeling I was afraid of. I wondered if they would bother me (I don’t like tight clothing, turtlenecks, etc… that feel too fitted). They didn’t. Instead, my husband said “Are you supposed to wear them THAT long?”
4. What styles do they come in?
This was an area I had some confusion. Did I need the sock, the Marathon sock, the sleeves? I didn’t have to do much more research as I will wholeheartedly admit, I fell in LOVE with the PATTERN of the Neon Yellow and Pink Swirl marathon sock and not much else mattered. Since then, I could see the benefit of all of the above for sure.
5. What are some of the things I really like about ProCompression? I really LOVE that they are designed and manufactured in the USA! I also love the material (which is a blend of nylon and poly materials). I thought my legs would get hot – they did NOT.
6. Just how expensive are these bad boys? At first glance, the price tag gave me some hesitation. During my research I found various compression socks and sleeves ranging from $25-$60 depending on lengths and styles. I chose the marathon sock and with my awesome coupon code I paid $30 for the sock of the month, which is sold for $50. I also received free shipping and they were delivered to my front door step in just 4 days!
**All opinions expressed in the product review are my own. I purchased this product myself and was offered no monetary compensation for this review.** HOWEVER, dear PROCompression, I will take any free products you’d like to send now at anytime!!!