In the last several months I learned about a new fuel product called “Island Boost” (Thank you, Twitter!). Since one of my passions is researching new running fuel, gear, products, food, etc… I was immediately intrigued. What I found was much more than I could have ever imagined. Read on to learn more…
1. What kind of “fuel” is Island Boost? IB is NOT a gel, is gluten-free, vegan & caffeine-free. It does NOT need to be taken with water or at pre-determined times. You can chug the liquid anytime, any place and when you need it. I love that it’s safe for pregnant runners and children too.
2. What does Island Boost taste like? I ordered a sampler pack of 10 which included “Passion” (Passion Fruit Flavor), “Aspire” (Strawberry-Orange Flavor) and “Renegade” (Blueberry Pomegranate Flavor) I liked all the flavors. My favorite was “Renegade”. The flavors are really “vibrant” and go down smooth (assuming because of the coconut water) and fast. No aftertaste at all. I tested some at room temp, some after being in the refrigerator and some in the freezer (it doesn’t completely freeze but turns into more of a “slushy” consistency.) Clearly, the slushy was the best for a hot day!
3. How did Island Boost feel? I didn’t have a jittery or sudden “rush” feeling I’ve experienced with caffeinated energy sources. I just felt really good! I had energy and most importantly took IB when I started to feel tired and was able to maintain an overall positive flow of energy and endurance.
4. How portable is Island Boost? This was the one area I had some concerns with. The packets are a bit larger than your standard “Gel” or “Block”, but that’s because it’s NOT a gel or block. I imagine it has to be a bit larger because the fluid portion (coconut water) is included and no need for additional water. That point right there made the larger size a non-issue for me. Since I use a hydration/fuel belt on long runs it didn’t bother me at all. You could only fit one into a running shorts pocket, though. When I tested during some brick training, I was pleased to find out I could easily fit 4 pouches into my Tri tank rear pocket.
5. What are the Ingredients of Island Boost? I’m going to copy this from the website (but there aren’t many, which I was thankful for! For me personally, LESS=MORE!) Through my research I learned that Island Boost only uses premium quality ingredients. That was important to me. I care about what I’m putting in my body!
8. What did I think of the company? This is the one area I didn’t know what I was in for! I was simply blown away! Not only are they super responsive on social media (and very personable!), but the follow-up from my order, shipping and use of the product was tremendous! Guys – I got an e-mail from the company’s founder! Amazing! This is a small company and I love supporting companies started from the ground up by fellow athletes.
**All opinions expressed in the product review are my own. I purchased this product myself and was offerend no monetary compensation for this review. I was not an Island Boost Ambassador during my initial order and review of this product. It was because of the satisfaction I had with the product, along with the values of the company that I applied to become an Ambassador.**